large NetCDF files (>2.1 GB) in ferret

Hi -

I'm trying to get ferret 5.41 working with the large netcdf files (> 2.1
GB).

Problem:  doesn't seem to work.

Symptoms:
A) When trying to read an existing large NetCDF file (set data/format=cdf
large_file.cdf) , I get the error:
** unknown netCDF error: -31
is this a CDF file?

B) When trying to create a large netcdf file (for example, by appending
repeatedly along the t axis), I get the error:
ferret:  lnetcdf/lposixio.c:238: px_rel: Assertion 'pxp->bf_offset <=
offset && offset < pxp->bf_offset + (off_t) pxp bf_extent' failed.
core dumped.

Background:
Our netcdf libraries are built with the large dataset flag.  I can ncgen
and ncdump large dataset files as in the UNIDATA examples.

Any ideas?
We are setting about reinstalling ferret from scratch and upgrading from
5.41 to  5.5 now, but I thought I'd check to see if this rings any bells.

Thanks,

- Sim